We have submitted a bill to our legislators that would make abortion illegal in Alabama without waiting on the Courts to overrule Roe v. Wade. But we need your help convincing our legislators to actually introduce and pass it. Will you join our efforts by signing our online petition today? If so, click here to be taken to our petition page where you can add your name to the petition and send a letter directly to our legislators urging them to put an end to the atrocity of abortion.
The premise of our bill can be stated in seven simple observations:
1. In dealing with the issue of homicide, section 13A-6-1, Code of Alabama 1975, defines a person as “a human being, including an unborn child in utero at any stage of development, regardless of viability.”
2. Paragraph (d) of this section states that “Nothing in Article 1 or Article 2 shall permit the prosecution of (1) any person for conduct relating to an abortion for which the consent of the pregnant woman or a person authorized by law to act on her behalf has been obtained or for which consent is implied by law or (2) any woman with respect to her unborn child.”
3. Paragraph (e) of that same section states that “Nothing in this section shall make it a crime to perform or obtain an abortion that is otherwise legal.”
4. According to the majority opinion of Roe v. Wade, if unborn children are recognized as persons under the law “the fetus’ right to life would then be guaranteed specifically by the [14th] Amendment.”
5. The 14th Amendment declares that: “No State shall … deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.”
6. Paragraphs (d) and (e) of section 13A-6-1 deprive of the right of due process and deny the equal protection of the laws to individuals which are identified as persons in this section.
7. Therefore, paragraphs (d) and (e) of section 13A-6-1 are unconstitutional violations of the 14th Amendment’s guarantees of due process and equal protection which the unborn child can claim by virtue of the legal recognition of his personhood.
The entire text of our bill is:
A BILL TO BE ENTITLED AN ACT
To repeal paragraphs (d) and (e) of section 13A-6-1 and bring Alabama into compliance with the Constitution of the United States of America.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF ALABAMA:
That paragraphs (d) and (e) of section 13A-6-1 be repealed.
Will you join us by clicking here to sign our online petition today and adding your voice to the shout of MAKE ABORTION ILLEGAL IN ALABAMA!